Pittsburgh Project 2010

Romania 2010

Thursday, July 8, 2010

This isn't a long video, but I experimented with making a video on my iphone today, and wah-lah!

A few things you'll see on the video ... Austin jumped up and offered to lead singing for our team worship time. I thought that was awesome. Bri made a new friend, and our time with the kids started with a series of parachute games. Now that I have a clue, I'll try and make a longer one tomorrow.



Our team did awesome today as we spent our first day in Nichidorf. The time with the mayor in the morning was awesome. He was very kind to our team. We gave him a gift of Taste of Heaven, a team t-shirt, and some Romanian coffee and chocolate. We also sang Hosanna in English, which he seemed to appreciate. Our service project for the day was splitting wood for the Nichidorf church plant (they heat in the winter with a wood burning stove). For lunch, we had something with sausage and rice wrapped up in cabbage like an egg roll, but I have no idea what it was called. Yummy. Oh ... and crepes with chocolate. Also yummy. Alexa attacked me at lunch like a crazy woman. I would not want to be Jenna when those two go at each other. Ahhhhhh! The VBS went well. Everyone did a great job with their parts, and Eric brought it. He was super confident working with a translator for the first time, and his lesson to the kids about God creating them and wanting a relationship with them was solid.

Allergies hit me like a brick wall this afternoon, so I'm about ready to call it a day. Thanks for all your comments. Keep em up.

Pray for Reina. She's got some kind of a cold. We buried her out back. Sorry, Faith.

JK she says hi. Not jk about the cold thing.

Peace. Out.

Michael

Hey it's John again. First student to blog today. So today was probly one of the most interesting days for me. We went to the town Nitchidorf to meet the mayor and chop some wood for their local church (... seems like we do a lot of that on our mission trips.), and i sorta kinda maybe broke 2 hatchets... But they were fixed. So no worries. We also had our first day of VBS where we met some of the most awesome kids ever. The first was Sebastian who was this little spontaneous little rugrat who kept attacking us all constantly with a foam sword. Needless to say when he quickly warmed right into my heart. I also met another kid named Sebby who was probly one of the few kids there that could speak a little english. He reminds me of the kid brother that I never had. ( Love you Scooott). The bonding time i've had with my friends and the translators has been awesome! God has truly blessed me in an amazing way through this.

I have a prayer request for you. I teach today and frankly I'm a little nervous, but I'm confidant that God is challenging me to do this and stretch me in this way for a purpose. And I thank Him for that. Just pray that it all goes well.

Ceau!

John



Hi, it's Rachel. Today was our first day in the VBS at Nitchidorf. We have been in Timisoara for a couple days now and because of the culture, we shouldn't be as smiley or as direct as we are in the US. That was probably the hardest thing for me as far as getting used to the culture. I don't like not smiling at people on the street or asking a stranger, 'how are you'. And i also don't like getting used to people not saying hi to me on the street. So anyways, with being at Nitchidorf we were working with kids. This was sooo great because we can smile and laugh as much as we want. The kids are so affectionate and it's crazy how quickly they make connections with us, especially considering we don't speak the same language. One particular little girl and i walked together for a while. She knows maybe 20 English words and i know maybe 5 Romanian words or phrases. But we walked for so long together, pointing at things and learning how to say them in Romania. I don't know how many times she's bury her head in her hands and laugh or moan at me for my pronunciation :) The translators are so cool! theres a girl my age who i am friends with now and also a lady who is so fun to talk to.
I think it's cool that God is changing my heart in ways that i never even thought about, and that is one of the best parts about being in Romania.
Rachel



Why hello! Its Alexa, and I would first like to start out with I did not "attack michael like a crazy woman" at lunch. He punched me or something and I defended myself, maybe he needs to toughen up a little. Anyways, like everyone knows today was our first day in the village and working with the kids. It was awesome and God is working in incredible ways in Nitchidorf. While the "men" were chopping wood I was playing with some of the kids that came over and hung out with us. We played duck duck goose for a while and then I became bffs with a little girl named Roxanna. She was on my back the whole time until lunch and helped me carry wood. Even though we couldn't have a conversation she had the most beautiful smile and it was so cool to me how we could communicate by just smiling, laughing and being joyful. God has some pretty great ways of getting us over the "language barrier". It is such a blessing to be here and hanging out with our whole team including the translators is so encouraging. God is good :)
lex
oh and thanks for all the novels mom. haha love you tons!




Hi it's bri again and reina has strep throat sooo if i come home with strep throat which i probably will then it's her fault for putting her sucker stick in my water and not telling me before i drank her nasty infectious germs.
also, today was sweeeeet.

23 comments:

  1. Lexxxxxxxx!!! yay for writing. I loved reading your sweet words. Im praying and praying for you baby girl!! I cant wait to see pictures and hear more of your stories. I seriously miss texting you so much, and getting your texts, really it is a big hole in my life right now...:) I am going home tomorrow and dont have to get kicked off the island ;) yay. Love love love you baby girl!! You are amazing and I am praying for you!!

    Brittttttttany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aus its shelb! Thats so amazing that you led worship! I miss you sooo much!! I've just been chillen with the dogs...oh and broooke and jacob boone! ha we played cards today...i lost :( but i miss you and britt! Dani and Reina i know now that you guys are more than just friends to me you guys are family and i miss you but i hope your haveing an amazing time! and dani im keeping you a journal of every day your gone...you can do the same for me if youd like lol...

    britt, its been different without you...ha im soo excited to hear about the trip and for you to be home! and i already have stories to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,

    This Sunday I will check on your sister and report back to you if she is still alive. I have a feeling she is.

    Reina,

    My teeth are killing me. Yes I am in pain and you are missing it. I was completely out of it when my mom took me home this morning. Some how I think you would have enjoyed watching me staring at the walls in the office completely unaware of everything. Also I am sporting around the most beautiful berry-slushy stain on my tee shirt. My bottem right lip has been numb for almost 12 hours. As I tried to eat the milk shacks it was hard to get it to my mouth. Thought you would enjoy that summery of my day.

    Bestie,

    I have a feeling you are never going to wear the wonderful gift I made you. I might just have to make a blue one that you can wear.


    I am so glad to hear that everyone is safe and that God is working through every one of you.

    -Emily R.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi team,

    You have no idea how much I love this blog! It is so good to hear all about your experiences. I hated those mission trips of years' past, when it seemed as if the students dropped off the face of the earth because there was no way to communicate. The video is great, Michael! And do beware of Alexa. I have photographic evidence of her wrestling - wrestle-channel style - with her sisters. Seems to be a preferred form of problem-solving that is NOT parent-taught.

    Reina, I am going to lift you up especially in prayer - strep throat is no fun and I know you want to be 100%. Michael - Alexa has benedryl - ask her to share. And John, I'm not sure who you are but I will pray for your teaching (although it might have occurred by now). Alexa Patrice, this is not a novel (short story, maybe, but not a novel!). Take care everyone.

    Love,
    Mom/Joan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the video! It brought tears to my eyes seeing our "kids" working with Romania's kids. You all look wonderful! Keep up the wonderful work; stay well! I pray that you continue to find joy in each and every day and experience you have on your trip.

    Debi Kilmartin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey everybody! As some of you may know…I HATE reading!!! :) …BUT, I have read EVERY word of the blog so far!!! I'm so excited for you all and I am praying all the time for each of you! Eric and Jon, I'm so proud of you two! I wish I could have been there but I'm sure that you did AMAZING!!! And Austin, it's so good to hear that you could help with worship…you are very gifted and it's awesome that you could share that with the team and the kids in Romania :) I miss you all and I'll be praying for you through the entire trip! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back! Love you all!

    -Steve-O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Team :)
    It's so awesome to read about all of your adventures, and seeing how God is working through you and in you! I especially loved the video, it brought tears to my eyes to see you and the precious kiddos. I am keeping you all in my prayers constantly. And Kiersten I'm saying lots of extra one's for you. I am so proud of you, and thankful that God blessed us with you for our daughter. XOXO
    Keep your hearts open to God and you will be amazed by what he shows you!

    LOVE~
    Marie Slater (Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree! This blog is amazing! I'm so blessed to hear how God has allowed these children's lives to be touched by you all - and how they're touching yours! I will be praying for you, too, Reina - as well as the rest of the team, that you don't come down with Strep. BE CAREFUL! This is one time when no sharing is allowed. :)
    I'm thrilled that things went well in town with the mayor! We were praying a lot about that.
    Loved, loved, loved the video, Micheal! Thanks for posting it!
    Mandy's mom/Mrs. Buehler

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, and Rachel, get Mandy to blog something, will ya?
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah how I love my computer these days - staying 'in touch' with what God is doing in & through all of you!!!!!! Love it. The video addition rocks...I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in more of those.

    Eric, I love you. It's so cool to be your mom. I am so so grateful to hear that your teaching went well. Just imagine what God can do through those words of truth & encouragement. And John - Know that God will do the same through you tomorrow! What an amazing thing you get to teach...that God wants a relationship with us :) Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the video, that was neat, hope we see more like that. So glad to hear you were warmly accepted by the Mayor of Nitchidorf. I'll be praying for you specifically Reina that you get feeling better and that Bri doesn't get sick. Very Cool to hear how God is using all of you and what He's doing in your lives as a result of your experiences. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool video...I'm not sure what exactly Bri's new friend is...something furry! Glad to see it's not a kid since it took her 2 years to like mine and she's only been there 4 days! Michael, could you put yourself on video so the boys can see you? :) Lauren and Britt, I put together my puzzle this morning. You girls rock!

    Praying for you guys...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Rachel!

    I really enjoyed reading your post! You must be having so much fun! No smiling? You? I can see how that would be hard! :-) Have fun with all those kids!! I know you must be having a blast!

    Praying for you and your team!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Jordan (and team),

    So glad to hear that things are going well. We love you and are very proud of the work you are doing! We're praying for you and thinking about you.

    Dad & Mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just returned from Camp KidJam and caught up on the blog. Have been praying for the team and will continue to pray. Reina - I hope you get some antibiotics if you truly have strep. That's a bummer. (I lost my voice at Camp KidJam) Dani - glad to hear that you have earned your wings. Hope the VBS dramas are going well. FYI - the RBC softball team won both games of the double header last night with a few subs since a huge chunk of our team was overseas. Next week is a bye. Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a priviledge to see God's work through each of you! Your testimonies are amazing! This is the 1st time I have followed a mission team. AMAZING! Each and everyone of you!!!! We all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed. 2 Corr 3:18 Praying for each of you daily!!!!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  17. John: I hope your teaching went well today and hopefully goes well for Reina tomorrow. Is "Ceau" goodbye in Romanian or were you attempting to spell "Ciao" in Italian? :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. crap one more thing...
    for reina and austin:
    today i got to drive the landcruiser...
    no joke. in richland and now we're off to the cottage and i get to drive it up there....chaching. betcha wish you were home now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Michael Fernihough...you are a stud.

    That video was sick! And the fact that you made it on your phone is even sicker.

    You are all loved and missed...but missed in a great way!

    Eric you are the man! To get a compliment like that from Michael is awesome!

    John- You are going to do great as well!

    Jordan and everybody else I am praying for you!

    - Peter (& Bethany)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved the video and hearing how God is working thru all of you!

    Rachel- it was so great to read your post-and Taylor can't wait to hear from you and see what else He has in store for everyone!
    P.S. T- you were assigned a roommate- he's from Tennessee!

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great video Michael! Praying for everyone.... John, you do wood every missions trip because you are gifted! Really! Austin, I love seeing you spread your wings! Reina, you sweet girl, I hope you feel better.

    Love Nikki

    ReplyDelete