Pittsburgh Project 2010

Romania 2010

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Another great day! Today we started at the Areopogus Center to learn about the Romanian culture. It was very enlightening to understand some major differences between the value sets, beliefs, and thought processes of the Romanians and us. Then we were off to the Orthodox Cathedral-- a beautiful place of worship with lessons about reverence and piety towards a holy God. Afterwards, we went to a Romanian Revolution Museum and learned about how Romania won its freedom. It's so different to in a country that is only 20 years old, and truly appreciates their freedom and celebrates their revolution. For lunch, most of us were introduced to the swaorma, a burrito like meal that is a Romanian favorite. All of the team spent some time at the mall (Andrew and I got our Starbucks fix). We met the rest of our team (our translators) tonight and had dinner and a time of worship and prayer with them. Tomorrow morning we will meet with the mayor in Nitchidorf. Please pray that the meeting goes well, and our time meeting with the people provides an open door for Kingdom activity. Drew, if someone is reading this to you, then give your mom a gigantic hug and tell her it's from me. Peace!

Michael




Hi it's Bri again. Today I found out that in Romania, smiling and waving at guys in the cars behind you will make them think you're a hooker. It's not a fun experience...especially with an over-dramatic friend sitting next to you probably peeing her pants (not that it would be the first time) who seems to think they will at any moment jump out of their car, break into our van, and kidnap us under the noses of the twelve other people riding with us. But anyway. Romania is sweet. That is all.
oh ps...apparently Wayfm is not only serving the greater kalamazoo area, but Timisoara as well. just ask reina.

Heeelllooo. this is John. So this is my first blog... Uuuummm... well I guess I'll start with yesterday. Yesterday the flight from Chicago to Munic was probly the longest 9 hours of my life. Sitting on a plane for that long doesn't do anyone any good. Luckily, the plane had these nifty little computer panels with movies and all that good stuff to keep me occupied... And of course the fellowship of my team mates helped as well... More or less. ;P
When we arrived in Timisoara we already confronted our first team problem. We lost some bags... Which you may know already. BUT! We got them back today so it was all good. Luckily the jet lag hadn't kicked in too bad despite the possible 4 hours of sleep i got that night.
When we arrived in front of the Dwight's house we were greeted to the sight of a rather large man in his underwear, starring with a stern face, at us... I guess he thought that we were weird foreigners or something... Who knows.
Dwight and his family have shown us great hospitality the last 2 days. His kids Luke and David are a riot. His wife is great too... her name escapes me... Yeah I know. I'm a terrible person.
But today we had an awesome time sight seeing and all that good stuff. We learned about the Romanian Revolution and tried some Romanian cuisine. But yeah that's pretty much what we did today. So the reason this is so long is because this is for you mom... You're welcome.

John

7 comments:

  1. Just have to say I really laughed out loud reading that, Bri. Poor Reina. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi team,

    I am not sure I get the blog thing, so am hoping this comment winds up somewhere where you can read it - in any case, it is great to read your updates. Michael, your comment about Romania being only 20 years old really hit me with a powerful memory...when that event occurred, Brittany was about 4 and in preschool. She came home one day, full of talk about the downfall of "computerism" (communism) and wanted to bake a cake to celebrate. I blame her for the onset of our family's addiction to cake. Praying for you all.

    Love,
    Mom/Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love learning about foreign cultures! It all sounds so interesting! I hope you all had a good night's sleep again, as you are about to wake up on the 8th as I am going to bed. "Pray without ceasing" has been a really easy command to follow these last two days. I didn't read anything about Mandy's birthday today. I hope it was celebratory. :) Missing you, kiddo!
    Love to all,
    Mom/Mrs. Buehler

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Joan's comment!

    We miss you all back here! Bumbleball and dodgeball happened last night. I can't wait to read more about what God does through you guys.

    ps...I agreed to make a video of you talking about the highlights of the trip to show in big church!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bri, that story was hilarious! I'm going to update friends on your adventures via my FB page...I hope you don't mind it if I share that story. Praying for you, love you.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Brittany and Austin...

    We miss you so much but are excited how God is using you on the other side of the world.

    I am praying for you and the rest of the team today. Asking God to go before the leaders as they meet with the mayor there in Nitchidorf.

    A song has come on in my office here (thanks to Eric Thompson for the CD) called "Ready Yourself" by Casting Crowns. Hope it serves as encouragement to your team today.

    I love you more than you will ever know...

    Words to "Ready Yourself"

    Lord I wanna feel Your heart
    See the world through Your eyes
    I wanna be your hands and feet
    I wanna live a life that leads

    Chorus:

    Ready yourself, Ready yourself
    Let us shine the light of Jesus in the darkest night
    Ready yourself, Ready yourself
    May the powers of darkness tremble as our praises rise

    Until the whole world hears
    Lord we are calling out
    Lifting up your name for all to hear the sound
    Like voices in the wilderness we're crying out
    As the day draws near
    We'll sing until the whole world hears


    Lord let Your sleeping giant rise
    Catch the demons by surprise
    Holy nations sanctify
    Let this be our battle cry

    Repeat Chorus:


    I wanna be your hands and feet
    I wanna live a life that leads
    To see You set the captive free
    Until the whole world hears
    And I pray the day will see
    More of You and less of me
    Lord I want my life to be the song you sing

    Until the whole world hears
    Lord we are calling out
    Lifting up your name for all to hear the sound
    Like voices in the wilderness we're crying out
    As the day draws near
    We'll sing until the whole world hears

    Love You...

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. reina, have you ever peed your pants before? oh wait...
    (;
    britt and aus, i've been living at your house for a little while now and it's weird without you guys here. shelby's getting used to the only child life.
    i love you guys!:D

    ReplyDelete