Pittsburgh Project 2010

Romania 2010

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Romania Happenings

Hey parents, families, friends, and prayer partners!

It's Peter Jenkins here at the Mothership(RBC Youth Offices). Here are some updates from the Romania Team. Please leave comments to encourage the team with. From experience I know that those comments are a huge boost to morale when the days are long and the nights are short. We will hopefully have a new post each day and you can follow my twitter(almost_peter)to know when the blog has been updated. You can probably subscribe to this blog and be alerted of the same but twitter is way cooler. Here's the latest from the team:


So far today... we have been on a plane!! We left Grand Rapids airport and flew to Chicago airport.. then we flew from Chicago to Munich, Germany (which is where we are now). that flight took 9 hours! A lot of us watched movies, or slept! we were served dinner AND breakfast! it was really yummy :D We also had our team bag which was full of medications to take with us (like sun screen, aloe, aspirin, rubbing alcohol)
the bag had to be first checked in Grand Rapids, and they took some things out.. and then it had to be RE-CHECKED in Munich, Germany. It was a hassle.. but oh well! we were all really excited to land in Germany! Now we are sitting in the airport.. waiting for our flight to leave for ROMANIA!! :) please keep our team in your prayers! pray that we will have a safe trip and that we will have life-changing experiences and that God will open our eyes while we are there.. and that we would just show our love for Christ to EVERYONE!

-Desiree DeVrou

Well, here we are in Munich! All of our flights have run smoothly, though I apparently slept through some turbulence on the way into Germany :).

Families, you will be happy to know that everyone is doing well! Dani and Lauren Campbell did amazing as first-time flyers, and most of us managed to grab a little sleep on the 9-hour flight over here. Prayers for energy would be greatly appreciated, though, as the time difference is sure to catch up with us soon.

I can't tell you how excited I am to arrive in Timisoara and get our work underway, but it has been awesome to see our team already portraying the attitude of Christ during our travels. Baggage needs to be searched twice? No big deal. A Romanian man drops his luggage on one of our students? No worries, nice to meet you! Someone is hungry? Someone else shares their snacks. From little stuff to big stuff, our students have already begun to bond and prepare their hearts for the work we will be doing.

We will be heading out on the last leg of our journey in about an hour, and then we will be hanging out with the Poggemiller's and relaxing this evening.

Your thoughts and prayers are SO appreciated--keep them coming!! :)

In Him,

Lauren Kilmartin


Hey everybody! Its moderately weird when I think about the fact that I am typing to you from the other side of the world! My first few flights went really well. I didn't sleep much, but that gave me time to watch How To Train Your Dragon(which I highly recommend) and drink 2 gallons of apple juice. I will hurry up and finish because Bri is currently looking over my shoulder and breathing heavily in my ear. But one last thing.... It is amazing looking down at all of God's creation from above the clouds. Truly beautiful.
"I am in the father and the father is in me." John 14:11
~Dani


Hi it's Bri. I have to be speedy because Dani took forrreeeevvveerrrrrrr. but anyway we're in Munich and the plane ride was long and hot but okayyy because i stayed up all night watching movies on these wonderful little personal televisions.
okay now down to business.
Mandy: today i drank a mcdonalds coke and (accidentally) chewed a piece of ice and (almost) didn't share a drink with someone, all in your honor. i also spent a good hour in the night watching the children's cartoons thinking of Drew and Noah, since there wasn't star wars. anyway your husband is yelling at me to be done now so bye.
Brooke: hiiiiii!


Matthew 28:18 Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. 19 Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations,[b] baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

13 comments:

  1. Praising God for safe flights-we will continue to pray for safety, growth and for God to use you all! Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our family is keeping you all in our prayers. Love the insights even in the 'transit' portion of your mission! Be kind to yourselves as you deal with fatigue and getting used to the new time zone. It is easy to get frustrated with yourself when you just don't have the energy to do what you thought you went to do....patience with yourself will come in handy in all things! And then one morning you will wake up and you realize you have adjusted! Keep your heart open and willing, and God will lead you to discover all that He has for you to do....and experience!

    Laurel Flaget for the Flaget family

    ReplyDelete
  3. You all are in our thoughts and prayers non-stop!Woke up through out the night praying for you. So amazing to know God is going to touch others through you and touch your lives in ways that you will never be the same! Have fun, be safe and keep Jesus the center of your focus!! Shine His love to every person you encounter.
    Love you Emily ♥(Kincaid) and Des and Grant and ALL! ♥ Katie & Dave Kuepfer ~ Emily's mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yayyyy!! Praying for you guys. Love you Lexy Lou!!! :)
    Brittany and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for you all! Wishing I was there again! Tell the Poggemiller's Hi for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool to see your blog already! Especially Desiree! So happy that you are doing well, praying for you all!!!God Bless! Mike and Cathi DeVrou

    ReplyDelete
  7. "family" i miss you guys already.
    bri i'm glad you saved a hiiii! for me.
    lex...phil said hi. and then he laughed...awesome.
    i'm praying all you guys have a giant impact on everyone there and that they also do on you too! i'm praying for you guys like crazy! :D

    Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful to hear from you all! Dani, I'm glad the plane flights were good for you! Lauren K - I have Luna! Brittney - do you like pink?
    Prayers to you all. I just know in my heart that this trip will be memorable and that your hearts will be filled with all that you need to remain strong and patient.
    Debi Kilmartin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi everyone - I have been praying hard for safe travels and no lost luggage (Monday and Tuesday were 2 of my designated prayer days for you) and I rejoice that He came through!! Regarding the lost luggage - I think that getting it to you in 24 hours is in the same category as the "3-second" rule with food :-)! Alexa, you should be proud that I am seriously resisting texting Andrew B. If I WERE to text him, I'd say that I miss you, cookie....and that I feel seriously so, so blessed that my daughter is part of an incredible group of young people that selflessly raised thousands of dollars to go help others and do God's work. Wow. That's pretty awesome. Love Mom/Joan

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's 10:52 P.M.; time for bed here. 5:52 A.M. there; almost time to get up. I've been praying all day that you were all getting good, deep sleep! I will pray as I go off to sleep that you are waking up rested.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MANDY!! I seriously can't stop thinking about you!TWO adult children! Yikes... I hope today is a relaxing day. There will be work to do soon enough.
    Love, Mom/Mrs. Buehler

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for taking the time to update us already! You know we're anxiously checking this thing. I have to say, I loved hearing from you, Bri - yours made me smile. I pray that you'll all keep those good attitudes that Lauren mentioned and for growing unity. Praying for you all.
    Love, Mom/Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings Ignite Team!

    Thanks Michael, for keeping the blog updated with videos and comments. Thanks all you leaders for serving so faithfully. Thanks all you high school kids for loving and serving these kids and for working so hard! Eric, you look like you swing a wicked ax. {I think that was an ax - you can tell how often I've swung an ax!)

    Lauren, sorry you've been sick - just think of it as "puking for Jesus - AMEN!" Seriously, hope you're feeling better!

    Bri, thanks for loving the kids that you normally have a hard time loving. That was God-like because He loves us when we're probably not too lovable, but He still does.

    Des,
    Thanks for your comments. You're in almost every video. You must have a good press agent. Keep up the good work with those little kids.

    I'm proud to be your pastor, you guys. We will pray for you tomorrow in both services as you serve at the church there. God bless each of you.

    3 John 3 - that's how I feel about you all!

    Pastor Larry

    P.S. Kuldin, I'm glad to be your pastor, but most of all your dad. So those Romanians kicked your USA butts, huh?! Miss you, man.

    ReplyDelete